Lockdown restrictions are starting to lift, but it looks as if social distancing will be in place for a while to come. After the first App released by the UK government exclusively to Islanders has been scrapped and a replacement is yet to be announced, you could find some solace in...
Number Translation Service
Number Translation Services
Code of Practice
Publication of Prices of Calls
1. INTRODUCTION & OVERVIEW
2. STATUS OF CODE
3. CUSTOMER INFORMATION & ADVICE: PUBLISHED PRICE LISTS & WEBSITES
4. CUSTOMER INFORMATION & ADVICE: ADVERTISING, PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL & NEW CUSTOMERS
5. PROCESSES & PROCEDURES
1. INTRODUCTION & OVERVIEW
The key objective of this Code of Practice is to ensure that WightFibre provides its domestic and small business customers with readily accessible and accurate information relating to the usage charges for NTS Calls.
1.2 Good Practice
The Code of Practice seeks to ensure that there is a clear framework within which WightFibre is operating in relation to the publication and provision of information to domestic and small business customers about usage charges for NTS Calls.
2. STATUS OF CODE
All Originating Communications Providers, including WightFibre, who provide NTS calls are required under Ofcom General Condition 14.2 to establish a Code of Practice for NTS Calls for their domestic and small business customers (the “Code”).
The Code conforms to the Guidelines set down by Ofcom, and WightFibre complies with the provisions of the Code.
Compliance with the Code does not guarantee compliance with any other legal requirements.
Non-compliance with the Code does not affect the validity of any contract between the company and the consumer, unless otherwise provided by law.
3. CUSTOMER INFORMATION AND ADVICE: PUBLISHED PRICE LISTS AND WEBSITES
3.1 NTS Calls
NTS stands for Number Translation Service. Users dial a number with an 08 prefix and the telephone system translated this into a 01 or 02 (Geographic Number) and routes the call to the called party. This approach has several benefits. Depending on the time of day the call may be routed to a different destination, distinctive numbers can be used, and there is greater tariff flexibility.
Initially there were three main NTS prefixes:
0800 – free calls
0845 – ‘local’ rate calls
0870 – ‘national’ rate calls
Given the intense competition on local and national calls and the more sophisticated functions, 0845 and 0870 calls now tend to be more expensive than local and national calls.
3.2 NTS Prices
The tariffs for NTS services are available from WightFibre on request, and on its web site www.WightFibre.com in the same format as all other call types. The tariff information provided includes:
- the prefix of the NTS number (this determines the charge);
- the charge code (based on a UK convention);
- the prices (these can include fixed fee, connection or minimum charges, and a duration charge.
WightFibre price list gives prominence to the following, in particular:
- any usage charges that apply for calls to freephone numbers including details of when those charges will apply – none apply;
- usage charges for NTS Calls which include variations by time of day – day, evening and weekend rates are provided;
- whether or not any special offers, discount schemes or call bundling arrangements apply to NTS Calls, including details of which of those arrangements apply to which number range;
4. CUSTOMER INFORMATION AND ADVICE: ADVERTISING, PROMOTIONAL MATERIAL AND NEW CUSTOMERS
4.1 Promotional Material
WightFibre in advertising and promotional material that refers to call pricing includes the maximum prices that apply to NTS calls, alongside a clear reference that all of its NTS prices are publicly available and on its web site www.WightFibre.com .
4.2 New Customers
When a new customer signs up WightFibre provides maximum prices that apply to NTS calls alongside a clear reference that all of its NTS prices are publicly available and on its web site www.WightFibre.com .
5. PROCESSES AND PROCEDURES
5.1 Customer Services
WightFibre has procedures in place to:
- ensure that enquiry and helpdesk staff know of the existence and content of this Code in order for them to be able respond to complaints and enquiries about NTS calls; and
- monitor WightFibre compliance with this Code.
5.2 Customer Awareness
WightFibre has procedures in place to make customers and advice agencies aware of the existence and content of this Code, for example by referring to the Code in sales and marketing literature.
The Code is available free of charge on request and at www.WightFibre.com .
To ensure accountability WightFibre has allocated responsibility for compliance to:
Sales and Operations Manager
56 Love Lane